This course gives you context and first-hand experience with the two major catalyzers of the computational science revolution: big data and artificial intelligence. With more than 99% of all mediated information in digital format and with 98% of the world population using digital technology, humanity produces an impressive digital footprint. In theory, this provides unprecedented opportunities to understand and shape society. In practice, the only way this information deluge can be processed is through using the same digital technologies that produced it. Data is the fuel, but machine learning it the motor to extract remarkable new knowledge from vasts amounts of data. Since an important part of this data is about ourselves, using algorithms in order to learn more about ourselves naturally leads to ethical questions. Therefore, we cannot finish this course without also talking about research ethics and about some of the old and new lines computational social scientists have to keep in mind. As hands-on labs, you will use IBM Watson’s artificial intelligence to extract the personality of people from their digital text traces, and you will experience the power and limitations of machine learning by teaching two teachable machines from Google yourself.
Informações sobre o curso
Universidade da Califórnia, Davis
UC Davis, one of the nation’s top-ranked research universities, is a global leader in agriculture, veterinary medicine, sustainability, environmental and biological sciences, and technology. With four colleges and six professional schools, UC Davis and its students and alumni are known for their academic excellence, meaningful public service and profound international impact.
- 5 stars
- 4 stars
- 3 stars
- 2 stars
- 1 star
Principais avaliações do BIG DATA, ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, AND ETHICS
A perfect course for beginners and non-computational professionals who are curious to explore Digital foot print, the state of the art Artificial Intelligence applications and the research ethics.
Excellent course on How the Big Data, AI and ML technology plays a big role in developing the world. Thanks to all the professors who made it even easier to understand the subject with clarity.
Excellent course. Helps in developing a good base in artificial intelligence for beginners. The explanations and lectures are very clear and understandable. Won't bore the listeners.
This is a very comprehensive course that gives a very good understanding of what we mean by Big Data, how it is utilized and relevance to the data and AI in our lufe.
Sobre Programa de cursos integrados Computational Social Science
For more information please view the Computational Social Science Trailer
Perguntas Frequentes – FAQ
Quando terei acesso às palestras e às tarefas?
O acesso a palestras e tarefas depende do tipo de inscrição. Se você participar de um curso como ouvinte, você poderá ver quase todo o conteúdo do curso gratuitamente. Para acessar tarefas valendo nota e obter um Certificado, você precisará adquirir a experiência do Certificado, durante ou após a participação como ouvinte. Se você não vir a opção de participar como ouvinte:
- o curso pode não oferecer essa opção. Você pode experimentar um teste gratuito ou solicitar o auxílio financeiro.
- Em vez disso, o curso pode oferecer 'Curso completo, sem Certificado'. Com esta opção, é possível ver todo o conteúdo do curso, enviar as avaliações necessárias e obter uma nota final. Isso também significa que você não poderá comprar uma experiência de Certificado.
O que recebo ao me inscrever nesta Especialização?
Quando você se inscreve no curso, tem acesso a todos os cursos na Especialização e pode obter um certificado quando concluir o trabalho. Seu Certificado eletrônico será adicionado à sua página de Participações e você poderá imprimi-lo ou adicioná-lo ao seu perfil no LinkedIn. Se quiser apenas ler e assistir o conteúdo do curso, você poderá frequentá-lo como ouvinte sem custo.
Is financial aid available?
Sim, a Coursera oferece auxílio financeiro ao aluno que não possa pagar a taxa. Faça a solicitação clicando no link Auxílio Financeiro, abaixo do botão "Inscreva-se" à esquerda. Preencha uma solicitação e será notificado caso seja aprovado. Você terá que completar esta etapa para cada curso na Especialização, incluindo o Trabalho de Conclusão de Curso. Saiba mais .
What do students say after completion?
These are some of the reflections shared by students who have worked through the content of the Specialization on Computational Social Science:
- "Highly enjoyable and most importantly, giving me exceptionally important skills to fulfill my job requirements at a new position in Munich. You may be interested to know the impact of your course on salary and in my case, the knowledge and certification gained adds about another Euro 20.000 on the annual salary (taking it to about Euro 120.000 p.a.)."
- "My overall impression of this was: I can't wait to use this for other stuff!!"
- "Best course I have taken. I wish more online courses structured like this would be offered."
- "The fact that these tools are so easily usable and attainable is incredible in my mind. Not only do we have access to them like we have access to things like Facebook and Twitter, but they're FREE."
- "I absolutely think that these tools could be used in my future jobs, or even as a personal reflection. If you scrape and analyze the comments/reactions that your business gets on Youtube, Twitter, Instagram, etc., what does their language use say about how they interact with your brand — or what your brand brings out in them?"
- "Wow, this is cool and fun stuff. Even though I may not pursue anything social-science related in the near future, it is still nice to learn and get to experience all of these tools that computational social science offers and benefits in all kinds of careers and fields of study."
- "I particularly enjoyed the web-scraping for some reason. It feels very advanced although its very easy. ...It seems to be a very fast and efficient way of grabbing data."
- "I enjoyed playing around with machine learning! ...It was also amazing to me how quickly it was able to grasp and learn our input in seconds. It makes me wonder how much more technology will advance in these next few years... It's scary but fascinating."
- "The most interesting aspect was the fact that these tools are all free and online. In the past, only researchers at well-funded universities had access to programs like the ones we used in all of our labs. But now, even someone without much technical knowledge on complex software can use these tools."
- "I am so surprised that these tools are available to anyone through a simple download, and even more so that they are very user friendly and easy to learn how to navigate. I plan on starting a clothing line company in the future and I think it will be really helpful for me to be able to analyze so much online data."
- "As an Environmental Policy Analysis and Planning major, I was fascinated to learn that there is a feasible way to simulate policy implementation and impact multiple times within a short span of time."
- "UCCSS has allowed me to feel more confident in my abilities with a computer and to better understand companies like Facebook or Twitter. ...these tools really are powerful but also dangerous. ...It allows powerful individuals to manipulate ideas."
- "Throughout the course, the content was challenging, but when it was finally applied to the labs at the end of each module, it was really rewarding to see everything play out. It was even more rewarding when it made sense too! ... I'm really glad I took this course! It was definitely a challenge, but I'm glad I got to experience and learn about so many topics I never knew even existed."
- "It was fun seeing the results of the code that I made, and I never thought that I would be doing something like this in my life. The results also showed me what the society would look like.... Social network analysis and web scraping could be the tools that I use in my future job as all the internship that I'm looking now all related to social media or digital media."
- "My career aspiration is to be a digital marketing expert. These computational tools have enormous implications for the field."
- "I really really loved that this class let me learn hands-on and gave me experience with tools that have real world application and combine STEM & social science. I think that a lot of these tools are useful far beyond homework activities."
- "I did my MA in Social Work in India. I am trying to make a come-back in my field after a long career break. I had been hearing Big Data and Data Science everywhere and wondered if there is a link between these and Social Sciences. This specialization gave me needed answers and is helping me to gain very useful skills... Thank you so much for bringing this specialization. You are a very good instructor and made these courses are a smooth sail."
Since this Specialization is a collective effort from all UC campuses, who teaches it?
This Specialization on Computational Social Science is the result of a collective effort with contributions from Professors from all 10 campuses of the University of California. It is coordinated by Martin Hilbert, from UC Davis, and counts with lectures from:
3) UC Irvine: Lisa Pearl, Prof. Cognitive Sciences.
4) UC Los Angeles: PJ Lamberson, Assistant Prof. Communication Studies.
5) UC Merced: Paul Smaldino, Prof. Cognitive and Information Sciences.
6) UC Riverside: Christian Shelton, Prof. Computer Science.
7) UC San Diego: James Fowler, Prof. Global Public Health and Political Science.
8) UC San Francisco: Maria Glymour, Associate Prof. School of Medicine, Social Epidemiology & Biostatistics.
9) UC Santa Barbara: René Weber, Prof. Dpt. of Communication & Media Neuroscience Lab (with Frederic Hopp).
10) UC Santa Cruz: Marilyn Walker, Prof. Computer Science, Director, Computational Media.
Ganharei créditos universitários por concluir o curso?
Este curso não oferece créditos universitários, mas algumas universidades podem aceitar certificados de cursos que podem ser convertidos em créditos. Entre em contato com sua instituição para saber mais. Com os cursos on-line e os certificados Mastertrack™ do Coursera, é possível ganhar créditos universitários.
Mais dúvidas? Visite o Central de Ajuda ao Aprendiz.